Hello and welcome to Year 5!
Our whole Year 5 team is here to support your child’s learning and development this year.
We would like to take this opportunity to welcome your child and yourselves to Year 5. The Year 5 team are very keen to get the year started, and would like you to know that we are here to not only support your child’s learning and development in school, but also at home. Therefore, please speak to your child’s teacher about anything you feel you could do at home to assist your child further.
The Year 5 team are as follows: Ms Khan, Mr Ahmed, Ms Parvez, Ms Nasima, Ms Bobbie and Ms Rahana. All class based adults will be working in a variety of ways in order to deliver an appropriate and exciting curriculum for all the children.
There will be lots of exciting learning this year, including work focussed on the following topics:
- - The Ancient Greeks
- - Earth and Space
- - Exploring the question in geography- Are we damaging our world?
- - The Tudors
- - Investigating Materials - Solids, liquids and gases
- - Living things and their habitats
Reading is very important, especially with SATs approaching in the next academic year. Not only will practising allow them to improve their reading, but it can also assist your child in English lessons. Your child will have regular reading sessions in class, but they would also benefit greatly from further reading at home too. Each child will take home a class book and library book each week. Please make sure that book bags (with their books inside) are brought into school each day. Your child has been given a Reading Record book (Reading Journal). We expect your child to read for at least 20 minutes every evening and log this in their Reading Record (at the back of their reading journals).
Children will be given homework on a Friday which needs to be completed by the following Friday. It will be related to the work being studied in class.
Please make sure that your child brings in a full PE kit for each PE lesson. Each item in the PE kit needs to be named. We will have our PE session on Tuesday afternoons.
For PE, each child should wear: dark coloured shorts/leggings/tracksuit bottoms and a white T-shirt. Children need to wear trainers or pumps for outdoor PE.
For the duration of Year 5, your child will be attending swimming lessons at Mile End Stadium every Monday afternoon. This will offer them the opportunity to develop/enhance this life skill. Please ensure your child has his/her swimming kit every week so they don’t miss out on this great opportunity.
Please remember …
- to tell the office or your child’s teacher if someone other than yourself will be collecting your child at the end of the day
- to tell the office if your child will be walking home from school alone
- to write your child’s name in their coat, uniform and PE kit
- to ensure your child brings in a reusable water bottle each day
- not to use your mobile phones within school or in the school playground
- to check the school’s website for the weekly newsletter (paper copies are available in the school office)
- to download the SchooPing app- to keep up to date with the latest news
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to speak to any member of the Year 5 team at the end of the school day.
Thank you for all your support.
The Year 5 Team